Home Systems Protection
The coverage, conditions, and perils described in this section are a general overview of Home Systems Protection coverage. It is not a comprehensive or exhaustive list of all coverage details and conditions provided through the inclusion of Home Systems Protection in your home policy. For full details of the coverage, conditions, and perils associated with Home Systems Protection, please consult your policy documents.
What is Home Systems Protection?
Home Systems Protection (HSP) is an insurance product from Hartford Steam Boiler Insurance Company that we offer in our home insurance policies here at Farmers Mutual of Nodaway County. HSP is designed to help protect a variety of home systems and electronics that may not be covered under your typical home insurance policy. It is a more affordable alternative than having a home warranty plan, or individual warranties on valuable items in your home like appliances and electronic systems. HSP also covers microelectronics such as circuits, components, and software in electronic devices that may not show direct physical damage when they stop working.
What's Covered Under Home Systems Protection?
Home systems protection covers a variety of permanently installed home equipment, personal property, appliances, consumer electronics, and microelectronics. Here are some of the home systems and property that are covered under an HSP plan:
- Furnaces, boilers, and heat pumps
- Radiant and geothermal heating systems
- Air conditioning and ventilation systems
- Hot water heaters
- Water treatment and filtration systems
- Power generation equipment (includes solar power equipment)
- Emergency generators
- Fire and security alarm systems
- Control panels
- Pool pumps and filtration systems
- Chair lifts and elevators
- Security gates
- Kitchen and laundry appliances
- Televisions and home entertainment electronics (DVD players, blu-ray players, stereo systems, etc.)
- Computers, laptops, tablets, and phones
- Health monitoring devices and their associated equipment
- Home exercise equipment
- Tools and shop equipment
- Microelectronics within home electronics and appliances.
When does my Home Systems Protection coverage apply?
Home Systems Protection coverage does not always apply when there is a loss involved with your home systems, appliances, or electronics. HSP coverage only applies if your systems or property suffer one of the following:
- Mechanical breakdown
- Electrical breakdown
- Bursting, cracking, or splitting of covered home equipment that results in direct physical damage and requires repair or replacement of all or some of the parts of the damaged covered home equipment.
- Electronic circuitry impairment that renders the covered home equipment unusable.
- The damage is caused by rust, corrosion, erosion, deterioration, or gradual loss of efficiency or functionality.
- Damage is caused by leakage or seepage at or from any connection, valve, fitting, shaft or seal.
- Any programming error, programming limitation, computer virus, malicious code, loss of data, loss of access, loss of use, loss of functionality, or other condition within or involving data or media of any kind.
- Complete or partial interruption of electrical power, fuel or water supply, whether deliberate or accidental.
- Any condition which can be corrected by resetting, recalibrating, or by the performance of maintenance.
- Cosmetic or other damage that does not impair functionality.
Home systems protection coverage adds an additional $40 per year to your policy premium.
Home Systems Protection has a coverage limit of $50,000. A limit of $1,500 applies to equipment that is 15 years or older.
The deductible for Home Systems Protection claims is $500.
Yes, Home Systems Protection is automatically included in every home insurance policy we write. However, your agent will let you know that the coverage is included, and you can tell your agent if you would like to decline HSP coverage. This will remove the $40 charge in premium.
When your home system or property that is covered by HSP suffers a failure, you should first contact either our office or your agent to make a claim. Your agent or our staff will gather some information about the loss, determine whether it should be covered under HSP, and then send the information to an adjuster from Hartford Steam Boiler Company. The adjuster will then contact you in order to get in contact with the repair company that replaced your property. After reaching out to the repair company, your adjuster will determine the cause of the loss and the amount of damages caused by the loss.
Yes, you can request an endorsement to add or remove HSP from your policy at any time.